Review Netgear DOCSIS 3.0 High Speed Cable Modem

If you are looking to ditch the monthly charge of renting a modem from your ISP, or simply to get higher performance, this Netgear modem is currently the best option out there.

I'm a software engineer, gamer, and consume all my video content through the webso I live through the internet.

Why this Netgear modem?

A few months ago I picked up an Arris SURFboard SBG6580 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem/ Wi-Fi N Router, after previously having success with Arris modems.

I liked the idea of an all in one combo, and since the SBG6580 was dual-band I figured it should work great. It didn't.

The short version of the story is I spent the next 6 weeks with terrible internet issues, which I thought was mostly Comcast's fault (after previous experiences) disconnects, download speeds of around 1Mbps, upload speeds of .5Mbps (despite paying for 50Mbps down and 5Mbps up)and then it would work perfectly for 3 minutes. Super frustrating.

After extensive research it appears the SBG6580 wireless was the issue (extreme unreliability).

I moved and decided to start over again building my network. After a bunch of research I ditched the Arris and picked up this Netgear modem.

It had great reviews, was a bit future-proofed (16 download channels!!), and came in at a reasonable price. Setup was amazingly easy.

As a Comcast customer I didn't even need to call in to activate the modem (thank cosmos!); it was all done through a web interface.

I paired this modem with a TP-LINK Archer C5 AC1200 Dual Band Wireless, and the performance is outstanding! I currently pay for 50Mbps down and 5Mbps up, and what I'm actually getting with this new setup is around 90Mbps down, and 10Mbps upway over what I actually pay for!

Additionally, in 3 weeks of use I haven't had to reset my modem once, have had 0 disconnects, and generally an amazing experience.

Want speed and reliability? Buy this modem! GLHF!